Upgrading my G/L Source Names Extension to AL – step 3

When upgrading an extension from C/AL to AL (version 1 to version 2) we need to think about the data upgrade process.

In C/AL we needed to add two function to an extension Codeunit to handle the installation and upgrade.  This I did with Codeunit 70009200.  One function to be execute once for each install.

And another function to be executed once for each company in the install database.

For each database I add my permission sets to the installation users and for each company I restore the setup data for my extension and populate the lookup table for G/L Source Name.

The methods for install and upgrade have changed in AL for extensions version 2.  Look at the AL documentation from Microsoft for details.

In version 2 I remove these two obsolete function from my application management Codeunit and need to add two new Codeunits, one for install and another for upgrade.

In the code you can see that this Codeunit is of Subtype=Install.  This code will  be executed when installing this extension in a database.

To confirm this I can see that I have the G/L Source Names Permission Sets in the Access Control table .

And my G/L Source Name table also has all required entries.

Uninstalling the extension will not remove this data.  Therefore you need to make sure that the install code is structured in a way that it will work even when reinstalling.  Look at the examples from Microsoft to get a better understanding.

Back to my C/AL extension.  When uninstalling that one the data is moved to archive tables.

Archive tables are handled with the NAVAPP.* commands.  The OnNavAppUpgradePerCompany command here on top handled these archive tables when reinstalling or upgrading.

Basically, since I am keeping the same table structure I can use the same set of commands for my upgrade Codeunit.

So, time to test how and if this works.

I have my AL folder open in Visual Studio Code and I use the AdvaniaGIT command Build NAV Environment to get the new Docker container up and running.

Then I use Update launch.json with current branch information to update my launch.json server settings.

I like to use the NAV Container Helper from Microsoft  to manually work with the container.  I use a command from the AdvaniaGIT module to import the NAV Container Module.

The module uses the container name for most of the functions.  The container name can be found by listing the running Docker containers or by asking for the name that match the server used in launch.json.

I need my C/AL extension inside the container so I executed

Then I open PowerShell inside the container

Import the NAV Administration Module

and I am ready to play.  Install the C/AL extension

Now I am faced with the fact that I have opened PowerShell inside the container in my AdvaniaGIT terminal.  That means that my AdvaniaGIT commands will execute inside the container, but not on the host.

The simplest way to solve this is to open another instance of Visual Studio Code.  From there I can start the Web Client and complete the install and configuration of my C/AL extension.

I complete the Assisted Setup and do a round trip to G/L Entries to make sure that I have enough data in my tables to verify that the data upgrade is working.

I can verify this by looking into the SQL tables for my extension.  I use PowerShell to uninstall and unpublish my C/AL extension.

I can verify that in my SQL database I now have four AppData archive tables.

Pressing F5 in Visual Studio Code will now publish and install the AL extension, even if I have the terminal open inside the container.

The extension is published but can’t be installed because I had previously installed an older version of my extension.  Back in my container PowerShell I will follow the steps as described by Microsoft.

My AL extension is published and I have verified in my SQL server that all the data from the C/AL extension has been moved to the AL extension tables and all the archive tables have been removed.

Back in Visual Studio Code I can now use F5 to publish and install the extension again if I need to update, debug and test my extension.

Couple of more steps left that I will do shortly.  Happy coding…

 

Leave a Reply